We Accept AfterPay
Visa Mastercard AMEX Apple Pay Google Pay

How To Avoid And Appeal Parking Charge Notices

Parking Charge Notices present a different type of fine to the standard local authority-issued Penalty Charge Notices – or parking tickets – you might be more used to receiving.

These types of fines are the result of committing a parking offence while parking on private property and have their own rules and regulations to abide by.

They even have a different method of appealing – which is why it is so important to know the difference.

The rules for private parking, however, are not always made clear before you enter the car park.

Did you know that by parking in a private car park space, you are effectively signing up to a contract between you – the person to whom a vehicle is registered in the DVLA database – and the operator of the car park?

This means you are agreeing to their terms and conditions upon entry without realising.

1_39x31_632x416_0x520_untitled_design_92-1-300x197For that reason we have outlined everything you need to know here, from ways to avoid charges to the process of appeal should you receive a charge.

What is a Parking Charge Notice?

Parking Charge Notices are the result of a parking infringement on private land or in a car park which is operated by private organisations on behalf of the landowner and not enforced by the local highways authority or the police.

This means you are liable to a Parking Charge Notice as opposed to a local-authority-issued parking ticket or Penalty Charge Notice.

Typically, these are found at airports, railway stations, supermarkets, fast food restaurants and out of town retail outlets.

The need-to-know facts

  • If you are unfortunate enough to receive a fine, it is likely that a yellow plastic packet will be stuck onto your windscreen, very similar in appearance to one you may receive from a local authority. This will usually say ‘Parking Charge Notice’, rather than ‘Penalty Charge Notice’, and will indicate that the operator believes you have contravened the terms and conditions of the car park.
  • If the operator is a member of an accredited trade association (ATA) such as the British Parking Association (BPA) or the International Parking Committee (IPC), the ticket should give reasons for the contravention and methods to pay, and should also contain information on how you can appeal.
  • If your car is being or has been clamped, whoever is doing this is breaking the law in England, Wales and Scotland. Clamping on private land became illegal in 2012 in England and Wales but there may be local by-law exceptions to this and notices to this effect should be displayed. You would be within your rights to call the police to report clamping.
  • Similarly, if someone demands a penalty from you on the spot, you should contact the police. However, if you overstay by half an hour and the attendant asks for the standard fee for the extra half hour (i.e. no penalty) this would be seen as reasonable.

Comments are closed.

Scroll to Top